The U.S. Department of State is pleased to offer a new online passport application form procedure. This new process will promote faster passport processing and reduce data entry errors by eliminating the need to manually enter data from handwritten passport applications. Under the online form process, applicants for U.S. passports will no longer have to handwrite personal data to fill out a passport application form. Instead, the applicant may electronically enter his or her personal information securely online and then print the finished form. In order to ensure the privacy of data, the Department of State does not retain the data provided by applicants using this process. Once the application form is printed, the data provided to generate that form is automatically deleted.
The online form may be accessed at the Department of State Travel site. Completed passport application forms and accompanying documents must be submitted in person at the American Consulate, or other U.S. mission.
First Time Applicants
First-time passport applicants should bring proof of identity and U.S. citizenship and one recent photograph. Photo must be taken full face with a white or a very light background measuring 2 inches X 2 inches (5cm X 5cm). The passport fee, payable in Euros is $135 dollars (Euro equivalent) for adults and $105 dollars (Euro equivalent) for children.
Passport Application Procedures for Minors
Starting February 1, 2008, the Department of State requires the signature of two parents on a passport application for a minor under the age of 16, and proof of parentage, except in certain limited exigent or special family circumstances. The statute is a measure to minimize the use of the U.S. passport in international parental child abduction.
The Consular Section renews expired U.S. passports. Every attempt is made to issue passports as soon as possible, but you should make sure you have enough time in your travel plans to obtain a new passport. You must bring your most recent passport and one identical and recent photograph. The photo must be taken full face with a white or very light background measuring 2 inches by 2 inches (5cm by 5cm).
The passport renewal fee payable in Euros is $110.00 (Euro equivalent) for adults and $135.00 (Euro equivalent) for children who were at least 16 years old when the most recent passport was issued; otherwise the fee is $105.00 (Euro equivalent). We do not accept personal checks.
Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport
The Consular Section will replace lost or stolen passports upon verification of your identity and citizenship. The following items are needed in order to expedite your request for a replacement passport:
- Police Report: You must first file a report with Portuguese police authorities that documents a lost or stolen passport. Bring a copy of the police report to the Consulate.
- Personal Identification: Please bring documents to establish your personal identification such as a driver's license.
- Proof of citizenship: A birth or naturalization certificate, or photocopy of your missing or stolen passport constitute proof of citizenship. If necessary, an American friend or relative may accompany you to attest to your U.S. citizenship.
- Photographs: Please include one identical and recent full-face photograph taken with a white or very light background measuring 2 inches by 2 inches (5cm by 5cm) with your application. Photos that are suitable for passports can be obtained in downtown Ponta Delgada.
- Cash (in Euros): The fee for replacing a passport is $135.00 (Euro equivalent) for adults and $105.00 (Euro equivalent) for children 16 years or younger.